Bite Turbos: Speeding Treatment
When upper and lower braces are placed, in many instances, the top teeth bite down and contact the lower braces. This will cause the lower braces to break off the teeth, and, as a result, will cause many extra visits to the office. To prevent this, and allow placement of upper and lower braces at the same time, we use small build ups called “Bite Turbos”.
Things To Know About Bite Turbos:
- Bite Turbos are usually placed behind the upper front teeth.
- We usually place two Bite Turbos. YOU ONLY NEED ONE!! If one of your Turbos comes off, don’t worry about it. We place two only because they come off occasionally and this will prevent you from needing a special trip to the office.
- Bite Turbos are temporary. They are usually removed after 6-12 months.
- The back teeth usually don’t touch after Turbos are placed. This is normal and expected. Start with softer foods and work your way to more solid foods.
- Separating your teeth “unlocks” your bite from the pressure of the opposing teeth and allows your teeth to move easier, faster, and more comfortably.
- Placement of Bite Turbos allows us to place upper and lower braces at the same time. THIS ALLOWS TREATEMENT TO PROCEED AT LEAST 6 MONTHS FASTER. Although these may be slightly annoying at first, the treatment time savings is well worth it in the end.